A new version is uploaded.
New features include:
Allow more than one generative model to be evolved/optimized simultaneously;
Allow changing floor numbers during optimization;
Allow separately defining the size of column grid unit in the X and Y directions;
Add two new facade schemes to make it easier to connect with Honeybee for daylighting simulation;
Some bugs were fixed. (but there are still many ...)
For Activation, please expand this section (press the "+ more"), and you'll find the link to apply for an activation code below.
EvoMass is an integrated tool for agile performance-based building massing design generation, optimization, and exploration, particularly for optimization-based design exploration. Optimization-based design exploration is aimed to leverage optimization as a means of information extraction for achieving a performance-aware/performance-informed design synthesis process rather than purely looking for a design solution. Therefore, the optimization result is more like a "carrier" of design information revealing architectural implications related to building performance rather than a direct answer to a design problem. Thus, the aim of EvoMass is not to produce eye-catching or "futuristic/parametricism" designs but to provide easy-to-understand design information through orthogonal building massing designs (so the generated designs may look simple and unsophisticated).
- EvoMass is able to generate building massing designs using subtractive or additive form generation principles, which can be used for rapid virtual prototyping of building massing designs. This, as shown in the below images, can be used for site analysis related to different environmental or performance factors.
- EvoMass provides a diversity-guided evolutionary algorithm, SSIEA, to enable users to carry out a performance-based design optimization for building massing design. Combining the building massing generative models and SSIEA, the application of EvoMass can produce site-specific and task-specific building massing design solutions.
To help you have a quick start to use EvoMass, here is a list of EvoMass Tutorials (the first one is also posted below). In addition, there are still some bugs we haven't found yet. So, it will be greatly appreciated if you can report any problem or bug you identified when using EvoMass to us. To apply for an Activation Code, please use this link (Google Form), and for users from mainland China, please use this link (腾讯表格). Here is a short video about how to install and activate EvoMass. (relax, the activation is free : P)
Here are some papers relevant to EvoMass. If you're interested in the theory or the details of EvoMass, these papers or the Researchgate Project can provide more information about the generative models and SSIEA and help you understand how EvoMass works:
About the usage of EvoMass in architectural design:
1) ENABLING OPTIMISATION-BASED EXPLORATION FOR BUILDING MASSING DESIGN (a recorded presentation for this paper is posted below)
About the generation of the building massing:
1) ALGORITHMIC GENERATION OF ARCHITECTURAL MASSINGMODELS FOR BUILDING DESIGN OPTIMISATION
2) Subtractive Building Massing for Performance-Based Architectural Design Exploration: A Case Study of Daylighting Optimization
About the hybrid evolutionary algorithm:
1) SSIEA: a hybrid evolutionary algorithm for supporting conceptual architectural design
2) DIVERSITY AND EFFICIENCY: A Hybrid Evolutionary Algorithm Combining an Island Model with a Steady-state Replacement Strategy
Design-related applications or studies of using EvoMass:
1) THE SYNERGY OF BUILDING MASSING AND FACADE An Evo-Devo approach for performance-based design optimization combining facade design with building massing
2) EvoMass + GH_Wind - An agile wind-driven building massing design optimization framework
3) From Separation to Incorporation - A Full-Circle Application of Computational Approaches to Performance-Based Architectural Design