Strawberry Lab is an initiative to create free tools for structural engineers to tackle specific bottle-necks in their workflow. Tools that we are creating are automating areas of modelling and loading for cases with large amounts of structural elements, interoperability with professional software package SCIA Engineer is established by provided components. Components are groupped by structure type. Important note: Downloadable archive contains *.gh example file, *.gha and *.dll source. Sources needs to be unblocked before use in Windows (Windows marks downloaded *.gha and *.dll as blocked by default - to unblock just right-click on the source, select "Properties" and click on button "Unblock").
Terrain modeler is a simple tool to turn surfaces and meshes defined by Rhino or Grasshopper geometry into terrain elevations with variable height. Alternative supported format is an external DXF file that contains 3D faces representing the terrain. Such DXF my be obtained for example by online map service at cadmapper.com. Terrain modeller is further used as a definition of topology for parametric bridge modeller, that generates parametric bridge based on the terrain and road definition (currently not yet available).
Cooling Tower Modeller
Current version (version 2.2) contains following components:
- Component for tower topology and dimension definition and determination of load action. (This components is available in 2 options, with internal data format or with possibility of link with SCIA Engineer plugin Koala)
- XML export for SCIA Engineer (professional software package for structural analysis)
- Possibility of export of MS Word report containing wind load data. Supported Languages are English and Czech
- Components for conversion of data in native Rhino elements (Lines, Surfaces)
Cooling Tower Modeler was in its first version developed as a research project at the Faculty of civil engineering at the Czech Technical University in Prague. Cooling Towers have high complexity of definition of the wind load as it is variable both along the height of the tower and also along the tower. Usually, such model is created with discrete "meshing" and separate faces are loaded separately. Cooling Tower modeller aims to automate the manual and lenghty work of applying load to not only cooling towers, but also other cylindrical structures (silos, steel tanks, etc.). Cooling Tower Modeler was rewritten in order to be acessible for Grasshopper users and it contains few components for parametric definition of a cooling tower and calculation of wind action on it according to Eurocode standard EN 1991-1-4.
The only tool available in this first version is the modeller of Colling towers. Currently we are also experimenting with following topics and these shall be available in new versions:
Other tools in prototype status:
- Bridge modeller and optimizer
- Building modeller form 2D drawings
- Link between Karamba 3D and SCIA Engineer