Opossum is the first model-based optimization tool for Grasshopper and based on the RBFOpt library. It uses advanced machine learning techniques to find good solutions with a small number of function evaluations, i.e. simulations.
Opossum's GUI is similar to Galapagos. It's speciality is finding close to optimal solutions in 100 - 300 evaluations, while genetic algorithms and particle swarms typically need many more steps. (Various papers with benchmark results are availabe here.) Opossum has a results table, which makes it easy to revisit all optimization results by double-clicking entries in the table.
Opossum comes with a self-installing *.exe. To run it, you will also need a free license key, which you can get here.
Opossum 1.5.0 2018-March-16
• Canvas lockscreen
• Automatic "max_evaluation" setting
Opossum 1.4.3 2017-Sept-30
• Ensured Invariant Culture
Opossum 1.4.2 2017-Sep-23
• Bug Fix
Opossum 1.4.1 2017-Sep-17
• Update to RBFOpt 4.1: faster performance with improved local search
• Results tab allows examination of all optimization results
Opossum 1.2.3 2017-Jun-06
• Fixed bug caused by very long PATH variable
Opossum 1.2.2 2017-Jun-12
• Fixed license write-permission issue
Opossum 1.2.1 2017-Jun-12
• Updated to RBFOpt 2.1: faster performance
• Included example file
• Small bugfixes
Opossum 1.1.3 2017-Jun-12
• Opossum window always on top.
Opossum 1.1.2 2017-Jun-12
• More compact libraries
• Culture-independent license check
Opossum 1.1.1 2016-Oct-27
• GUI Improvements
• Installer Improvements
• Bug Fixes