Naval Efficiency and Marine Optimization
Nemo is a Grasshopper plugin for Ship Design
Nemo is divided in two major parts :
- Nemo Analysis, for automatic analysis of ship geometry (licensed)
- Nemo Designer, which includes several design tools (free)
Nemo Analysis can perform hydrostatics computation, silhouette extraction, meshing generation and resistance prediction right inside Rhino.
Sectioning hull into stations - buttocks - waterlines, generating an offset table, or creating cross-sections curves are also embed features.
Interoperability is allowed with external software like NavCad (HydroComp), Mars 2000 (Bureau Veritas) or Excel (Microsoft).
Nemo Designer includes specific tools to create NACA sections and appendages such as hydrofoils, keels (with or without bulb), or even blade propellers.
Nemo full version is provided for free (no license file needed) at least until : 2020-12-31
Nemo 1.1 Beta updates :
- Huge decrease of wires connection and many display improvements
- Added runtimes, checks and warnings to components (bubbles)
- MultiHull setup simplified, multiple hulls will be one assembly
- JSON outputs for Hydrostatics and Resistance components
- Tolerances have been adjusted and hard coded
- Text dots can be baked
- General debugging
- Float Plane [new] : Use a custom flotation plane
- Offset Table [new] : Generate offset table and export a CSV file
- Ship Speed [new] : Create ship's speeds range list
- Water Properties [new] : Predefined freshwater and seawater data (ITTC 2011)
- Nemo Logfile [new] : Export hydrostatics, silhouette, coefficients and ends log
- Nemo Search [new] : Search specific value in Nemo's results
- Clipping Planes [new] : Get Rhino clipping planes to setup Make2D viewports
- Projection Defaults [new] : Set default viewports for Make2D
- Layout Arrangement [new] : Automatic arrangement of the Make2D details
- Blade Propeller [new] : Generate blade propeller using Laurent Delrieu script
- Foil Appendage [new] : Generate hydrofoil from NACA sections
- Main Rigging [new] : Create a standard rigging (mast, boom and spreaders)
- Sail Inflate [new] : Simulate sail inflation using Kangaroo library
- Nemo License [new] : Request and Activate Nemo's License
- Ship Import : Input for custom flotation plane + Rhino units and tolerances displayed in white runtime bubble
- Hull Section : Text dots display + Input for custom flotation plane + Sectioning by number or by distance
- Ship Cross-Section : Cull empty and single points in outputs
- Hull Hydrostatics : MeshMode for faster computation + DISPVOL and AWS curves display + Input for custom flotation plane + Input for custom AP and FP points
- Ship Silhouette : Waterline display + Output for YZ silhouette curve
- Ship Ends : Goose neck bulbous bow supported + Text dimension sizes adapted for ANEN and BETA display + Input for Angle dimension size
- Holtrop Prediction : Integrated computation, no more external executable + Results and CSV export reformatted with input and full data + Input for ANEN option, from Nemo or Holtrop formula
- Hull MeshPlankton : Inputs for tolerance setting, shifting and reverse transom points + Input for custom flotation plane
- NACA Section : Added points output + Input for Flat or Sharp closing option
Nemo's components list :
- Float Plane : Use a custom flotation plane
- Ship Import : Import ship geometry, and perform XZ symmetry if needed
- Hull Section : Section hull geometry into stations, buttocks and waterlines
- Ship Cross-Section : Extract cross-section points for Mars 2000 export
- Offset Table : Generate offset table and export a CSV file
- Ship Speed : Create ship's speeds range list
- Water Properties : Predefined freshwater and seawater data (ITTC 2011)
- Hull Hydrostatics : Extract hydrostatics main data
- Ship Silhouette : Extract air and hydro resistances data
- Hull Coefficients : Extract hydrostatics coefficients
- Ship Ends : Extract bulb and transom data
- Nemo Logfile : Export hydrostatics, silhouette, coefficients and ends log
- Nemo Search : Search specific value in Nemo's results
- Holtrop Prediction : Perform displacement resistance prediction using Holtrop 84' method
- NavCad Export : Export hydrostatics, silhouette and ends data to NavCad
- Hull MeshPlankton : Mesh hull geometry in regular triangles using Plankton library
- Clipping Planes : Get Rhino clipping planes to setup Make2D viewports
- Projection Defaults : Set default viewports for Make2D
- Layout Arrangement : Automatic arrangement of the Make2D details
- NACA Section : Create cambered or symmetrical 4-digit NACA airfoil section
- Blade Propeller : Generate blade propeller using Laurent Delrieu script
- Foil Appendage : Generate hydrofoil from NACA sections
- Main Rigging : Create a standard rigging (mast, boom and spreaders)
- Sail Inflate : Simulate sail inflation using Kangaroo library
- Nemo License : Request and Activate Nemo's License
Next to come :
- Aero Prediction : Perform aerodynamics resistance prediction using GH_Wind library
- Savitsky Prediction : Perform planing resistance prediction using Savitsky 76' method
- Intact Stability : Run equilibirum balance and transverse stability analysis
- Parametric Structure : Stiffeners section sweep along curves on surfaces
- Weight Estimate : Manage and export weight estimate data
- Manufacturing : Curvature analysis and nesting
- Holtrop Prediction : Appendages drag, wake and thrust outputs
- Main Rigging : Fore sail and reduced configurations
- NACA Section : Drag and lift database integration
- Nemo Logfile : Export in PDF format
- Cross Platform : Mac compatibility and Rhino 5 - WIP full support
- Interoperability : Maat Hydro (Sistre) and Fine/Marine (Numeca) connections
PC Windows 10 :
- McNeel Rhinoceros 6 | Developed and tested on Rhino 6 SR18.
Not tested on Rhino 5, WIP and MAC versions, but could (partially) work.
As Nemo is continuously growing up, any feedback and improvements are highly appreciated. Please feel free to ask anything on the Grasshopper Group for public questions and suggestions, or contact us directly by email at : email@example.com
1) Install Rhinoceros 6.
2) Download the latest version of Nemo from Food4Rhino.
3) Check if downloaded .zip file has been blocked : right click and choose Properties. If there is an Unblock button click on it, and then click on OK.
4) Unpack the .zip file.
5) Copy the content from UserObjects folder to : %appdata%\Grasshopper\UserObjects folder, by copy-paste this path in your windows explorer address bar to access it.
6) Copy the content from Libraries folder to : %appdata%\Grasshopper\Libraries folder, by copy-paste this path in your windows explorer address bar to access it.
7) Start Rhino and Grasshopper, a new "Nemo" tab should be added.
Nemo is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0).
You are free to share, copy and redistribute the plugin. You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may not use the plugin for commercial purposes. If you remix, transform, or build upon the plugin, you may not distribute the modified plugin. You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits. No warranties are given.